Welcome
To join our community, please login or register!
Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade to a more modern browser.

Breeding Guide
Started by Taco

Breeding guide by Taco

So… you want to get a competitive team. But you don’t have 300K to spare? Well I, your delicious savior, am here with my amazing guide of awesomeness to your answer! BREEDING.

Introduction:
Okay, let’s start at the beginning. Every Pokémon spawns with 6 random generated stats called IVs. And what are those you ask? Well IV stands for Individual Value. Each stat can range from 0 to 31. 0 being the minimum and 31 being the maximum. This stat influences the final statistic with some difficult calculation I don’t know.
Each egg has 2 parents, who together have a total of 12 different IV stats. When breeding, the parents pass down 3 IV stats down to their offspring, the other 3 being random generated.

Example:

Charmander 1

Nature: Jolly

Held Item: None

HP

Attack

Defense

Special Attack

Special Defense

Speed

Charmander 2

Nature: Serious

HP

Attack

Defense

Special Attack

Special Defense

Speed

If these 2 Charmander would breed, their offspring could result in the following:

Charmander 3

Nature: Impish

HP

Attack

Defense

Special Attack

Special Defense

Speed

As you can see, combined together the parents passed down 3 of their own IVs to their offspring.

Besides IVs, a Pokémon has EVs, and EV stands for Effort Value. Each Pokémon spawns or hatches with 0 EVs and these go up as the Pokémon defeats other Pokémon.
Conclusion: these have nothing to do with breeding.

Finally, every Pokémon species has 1 or 2 egg groups. For 2 Pokémon to be able to breed, they need to share at least 1 egg group.

Held items:
Now that we have done the introduction, we can start talking about items that influence breeding in some possible way.

First off, there are the incenses. These are held items that can result in the egg containing a baby Pokémon if the mother pokemon (The base/final form) is holding the correct incense.

Example:
If a female Snorlax breeds whilst holding a Full incense, the resulting egg will contain a Munchlax. If the mother Snorlax has any other held item, the resulting egg will contain a Snorlax.

The incenses and their matching Pokémon are as followed:

Base/final Pokémon form

Type of Incense

Resulting Baby Pokémon

Chansey/Blissey

Luck incense

Happiny

Chimecho

Pure incense

Chingling

Mantine

Wave incense

Mantyke

Marill/Azumarill

Sea incense

Azurill

Mr. Mime

Odd incense

Mime Jr.

Roselia/Roserade

Rose incense

Budew

Snorlax

Full incense

Munchlax

Sudowoodo

Rock incense

Bonsly

Wobbuffet

Lax incense

Wynaut

Next up are the Power Items. These are held items that, when carried during breeding, pass down a specific IV of the parent that carries said item. The following Power Items exist with their respective IV.

Power Item

Matching IV Stat

Power Weight

HP

Power Bracer

Attack

Power Belt

Defense

Power Lens

Special Attack

Power Band

Special Defense

Power Anklet

Speed

Example:
Take the following 2 Charmander.

Charmander X

Held Item: Power Weight

HP

Attack

Defense

Special Attack

Special Defense

Speed

Charmander Y

Nature: Serious

Held Item: Power Anklet

HP

Attack

Defense

Special Attack

Special Defense

Speed

If these 2 Charmander would breed, the male Charmander will pass down its HP IV and the female Charmander will pass down its speed IV, resulting in the following child:

Charmander Z

Nature: ???

HP

Attack

Defense

Special Attack

Special Defense

Speed

???

???

???

???

As you can see, the parents passed down their respective IV that their power item is linked to.

Now that we’ve explained these items, we can move on to the interesting items that affect breeding. There are 2 items that fall into this category. The Destiny Knot  and the Everstone . But what do these items do exactly? Well continue reading and find out my friend, because these explanations are directly copied from the Pixelmon Wiki :)

Destiny Knot: If held by either parent, five IVs will be passed from the parents to the offspring instead of three.

Everstone: If held by a parent, the offspring's Nature will always match the nature of the parent holding the Everstone. If both parents are holding Everstones, the offspring will randomly inherit one of the parents' Natures.

Example:

We once again take 2 Charmander as an example.

Charmander X

Nature: Quiet

Held Item: Destiny Knot

HP

Attack

Defense

Special Attack

Special Defense

Speed

Charmander Y

Nature: Calm

Held Item: Everstone

HP

Attack

Defense

Special Attack

Special Defense

Speed

If these 2 Charmander would breed, their offspring could be as follows:

Charmander Z

Nature: Calm

HP

Attack

Defense

Special Attack

Special Defense

Speed

As you can see, the parents now passed 5 of their IVs down to their child instead of the usual 3 and the child has inherited its mother’s nature. It’s like magic!

Getting started:

Phew, now that we got the theoretical things done it’s time to finally get busy and start breeding a battle ready Charmander. The only thing is that the practical part of this requires 2 things besides those held items… they’re patience and luck.

Okay so let’s say we are aiming for the following Charmander:

Charmander A

Held Item: not important

HP

Attack

Defense

Special Attack

Special Defense

Speed

???

Pretty straightforward right (the A stands for Amazing)? Okay so let’s get started.

Say for instance we skip the first few sessions of breeding and we now have these 2 Charmander:

Charmander 1

HP

Attack

Defense

Special Attack

Special Defense

Speed

Charmander 2

Nature: Bold

HP

Attack

Defense

Special Attack

Special Defense

Speed

The first thing you can see is that the nature of the father is guaranteed to be passed down due to the everstone the father is holding. And because the mother is holding a destiny knot, the parents will pass down 5 IVs instead of 3.
So in the ideal situation their offspring would look like this in 1 go:

Charmander 3

HP

Attack

Defense

Special Attack

Special Defense

Speed

It’s clear to see that in this situation the parents passed down the four wanted IVs and the Special Attack IV, so this is great. Unfortunately this often isn’t the case, because the parents can also pass down the wrong IVs and you’ll end up with a worse Charmander then you started with, or you end up with only 3 of the 4 wanted IVs passed down to the child. But WAIT! That last situation isn’t necessarily bad.

Say for instance the offspring Charmander 1 and 2 ends up looking like this:

Charmander 4

HP

Attack

Defense

Special Attack

Special Defense

Speed

Your first thought might be “Dang, I only got 3 IVs passed down, down the trash chute with you”. Well this Charmander is actually useful for us, because if you replace Charmander 1 with Charmander 4, you then have a bigger chance of ending up with a Charmander that has the 4 wanted IVs.

*An eternity later*

Great! We finally have our Charmander looking like this:

Charmander 3

HP

Attack

Defense

Special Attack

Special Defense

Speed

Only 1 IV to go! Well the last one might be the most annoying one.

After some more time breeding you also end up with this Charmander:

Charmander 5

Nature: Quiet

HP

Attack

Defense

Special Attack

Special Defense

Speed

Amazing, we now have 2 Charmander with 4 IVs, one of them has the correct nature and we only have 1 IV to go. Well… now it is time for a lot of time to waiting (or not if you’re lucky). Just pop these 2 into a breeding ranch and pray for the best, because it could take a few (or A LOT) of tries, but eventually you will end up with Charmander A looking like this:

Charmander A

Held Item: not important

HP

Attack

Defense

Special Attack

Special Defense

Speed

???

Woohoo! Party!!! We’re done! So with this I hope you now understand how breeding works and you can move on to breed your own team completely.

I hope this guide was helpful to you!
Love, Taco!

Wait wait wait… I forgot something: The environment.
Okay, so I will not be explaining what blocks are useful for what type and whatnot, but I can explain the basics and some math I did.

Each Pokémon has 1 or 2 typings, the Charmander we used in this guide is a Fire type Pokémon.

On the Pixelmon Wiki you will find this chart:

Satisfaction

Strength

Text

Duration of breeding process

Duration per breeding stage

<35

"Pokémon 1 has a crush on Pokémon 2, but doesn't feel comfortable in this environment!"

Infinite

-30 minutes

35-69

"Pokémon 1 has a crush on Pokémon 2, but doesn't feel comfortable in this environment!"

2 hours, 30 minutes

30 minutes

70-104

1 "Pokémon 1 is more attracted to Pokémon 2 every day!"

1 hour, 15 minutes

15 minutes

105-139

"Pokémon 1's love for Pokémon 2 grows rapidly every day!"

50 minutes

10 minutes

>139

2 "Pokémon 1 falls madly in love with Pokémon 2 every single day!"

37½ minutes

7½ minutes

But now the question is, what is the correct ratio of blocks when breeding multiple types to get the highest satisfaction and get the fastest breeding time? Well after some calculations, I ended up with the following 2 charts, one for people who want their ranches to always be in the perfect middle of their breeding area and one for people who don’t care about symmetry.

In this chart I made the assumption that you are using a type of block that gives 3 satisfaction to the typing of environment it belongs to.

Please note that in this chart I did not take in the consideration that the Ground and Dark Typings have a block form that gives 4 satisfaction.

Chart for people with OCD:

Amount of typings in the ranch

Ranch size

Min. amount of block A

Min. amount of block B

Min. amount of block C

Min. amount of block D

9x9

2 (Same types)

11x11

2 (Different types)

11x11

3 (1 type in common)

13x13

3 (0 type in common)

13x13

15x15

Chart for chaotic people who don’t care about symmetry:

Amount of typings in the ranch

Ranch size

Min. amount of block A

Min. amount of block B

Min. amount of block C

Min. amount of block D

9x9

2 (Same types)

10x10

2 (Different types)

10x10

3 (1 type in common)

12x12

3 (0 type in common)

12x12

14x14

As you can see, it’s not that difficult a chart :)
the number 47 is calculated as follows.
If you want a Pokémon to breed as fast as possible, you need a minimum of 139 satisfaction, each block we used in this is worth 3 satisfaction. 139/3 = 46.333 = 47 because we can’t have a third of a block. If you’re using blocks that have different satisfaction values, the ratios will change.

So you can use more blocks if you want to make it pretty or something. But technically, 47 blocks worth 3 satisfaction of each type is needed for maximum results. If you really want me to do more math and calculate ratios with the 4 satisfaction blocks, comment and I'll think about it.

Once again,
I hope this guide helped you one your path!
Love, Taco

• x1
  • x1